Friday, October 19, 2012

These shots were created in my daylight studio using two different techniques to cause a blur.  In one the man is blurred; in the other the background is blurred.  My daylight studio is very bright so I used a variable neutral density filter to dial the darkness of the scene to a point where I could use a shutter speed of 1/20 second to give me just the right amount of blurring.

With the camera on a tripod I selected a shutter speed of 1/20 second and had the man move forward at a brisk pace.  The non-moving camera caused the background to be sharp, while the slow shutter speed blurred the man.

This is the opposite treatment.  Here I set up a flash (a Nikon SB-900) in front of the man.  Daylight was lighting the scene primarily from windows on the left.  The camera was on a tripod but I panned it to the right as the man moved.  This caused the scene to blur and the left side of the man to blur also because they were only receiving daylight illumination and a slow shutter speed of 1/20 second.  The right side of the man is sharp because it was frozen by the flash.  Both shots taken with a Nikon D4 and 70-200mm zoom.

No comments:

Post a Comment