Saturday, January 26, 2013

A light snow began falling in the evening just as the lights came on along lower Fifth Avenue.  Everything conspired to make this scene beautiful -- the time of day, the new falling snow, the haze, the warm glow.  I don't think the aesthetic balance of this scene lasted for more that a few minutes.  Fortunately, I had the Sony RX100 with me and attempted to capture the warm glow that came from the building windows and permeated the avenue, harmonizing with the gold building turret and lights on top of the Empire State Building.

It was already getting dark so I had to boost the ISO to 1600.  This was all the more worrisome because I also diminished the image size by cropping it to a square.  I had to deal with the noise in post-production, but was able to achieve a very nice image that printed out at 16" x 16".  This little camera really is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment